Better Tag clouds for your site, about your site... or about anything you want!

Is ZoomClouds a mashup?: Comments

Posted by luca filigheddu (Contact, Page)
Date: March 6th, 2006, 3:40

Hi guys,
I have an annoying problem with the visualization of the cloud. Please visit my website to have a look. I see a little "black area" on the top left corner of the cloud. Any help ?
Moreover, I see "Technorati" as the main relevant TAG... I think because i add Technorati tags at the end of my posts... but I think it is clear that this is not relevant. What do you think ?
Thanks
Luca

~~~

Posted by RBA (Contact, Page)
Date: March 6th, 2006, 3:55

Luca, in your Blogger template you have a style that assigns that "black" image to all DIV blocks. Because the cloud is within a DIV block, that's where the black area comes from.

Regarding the Technorati tag, since it's a word that appears at the end of all your posts, ZoomClouds considers it relevant. You could add Technorati to your list of "unwanted tags", but then, the word Technorati would never appear in your cloud even if you actually mention it in your posts. If it was my cloud, I would make it a "stop word", that is, I'd add it to my list of unwanted tags.

~~~

Posted by luca (Contact, Page)
Date: March 7th, 2006, 9:44

Hey guys,
I really don't think the tags I find into the cloud really fit with my blog. I found some words like "service", "phone number", "stay tuned", "moreover" etc. that are not relevant for my blog. The only relevant TAGS are the technorati tags I specify at the end of each post. Is there a way to let the cloud work better ? I think I'm going not to use it anymore.
Thanks

Luca

~~~

Posted by RBA (Contact, Page)
Date: March 7th, 2006, 12:19

Hello Luca,

As I explained here, it may take time to get the best relevant results in your cloud. Sometimes they come out really good - for example, most of the clouds from our featured blogs are quite good since day 1 - and honest, we haven't done anything special on them to get better results.

Having said that, if you would like to keep your cloud but it doesn't look very good at the beginning, my suggestion would be to use the "wanted/unwanted tags" feature, and at least add as unwanted those tags that you see now but don't want to see. And perhaps "teach" ZoomClouds about some terms you think are relevant but just cannot see in the cloud.

One could think "well if I have to teach ZoomClouds, what's the purpose?", when in reality it is something that takes very little time to do. After all, later, every time they post a new article, they take the time to manually tag it, and that's probably more time-consuming than spending a couple of minutes adding a few unwanted tags that'd last a lifetime.

Bottom line, ZoomClouds really learns over time. It really does. And if you help a bit in the beginning, even better :-)

~~~

Posted by John Koetsier (Contact, Page)
Date: March 24th, 2006, 21:02

Hey guys, great tool. Very, very nice.

Just started using it, and blogged a little about it here with a couple of suggestions:

Half of them you're probably working on, a quarter you've already done in better ways that I'm just not aware of, and another quarter may not make sense.

But you might take a look and see what you think.

~~~

Posted by RBA (Contact, Page)
Date: March 28th, 2006, 22:27

Thanks for the suggestions John, we'll definitely follow up on some of those!

~~~

Posted by David (Contact, Page)
Date: May 19th, 2006, 22:04

As Luca posted, Zoomcloud should leave an option to include only the real TAGS we put at the end of our posts, and not do some semi-wise context search in the posts.

~~~

Posted by chui (Contact, Page)
Date: August 3rd, 2006, 22:59

Why not my chinese Big5 characters displayed in Tag?

~~~

Posted by RBA (Contact, Page)
Date: August 7th, 2006, 18:10

Hello Chui,
We've had some issues with non-Western encodings. Shame on us but originally we did not use UTF-8 for the encoding. We'll have this fixed ASAP of course.

~~~

Posted by drk (Contact, Page)
Date: August 22nd, 2006, 13:58

one wonders how one would find all "tags" within a post given the variance in tagging - even the rel=tag within html might not be enough ...

I can dig what people are saying about technorati tags - it would be great to build a tagcloud over time of all technorati rel=tag type things - but zoomclouds seems a lot cleverer than that (in spite of my reservations about Y!s content analyser which I have moaned about before and seems to be a bit fixed by the alternative analyser used here)

It kind of depends whether you want to use your tagcloud as an alternative view of what you already know (your blog) or to auto-extract terms from rss to enable auto-discovery by using a different view to the normal one

~~~

Posted by Germán (Contact, Page)
Date: August 29th, 2006, 9:06

Hi,

I have a problem with zoomclouds. I made a cloud 3 month ago, and I'm showing just 15 words.
First, I showed the last 90 days, and after 2 mont I choose to show the last 30 days.
But the problem is I always get the same words ! even when I posted almost every day, with long post plenty of words, I get almost the same words.

~~~

Posted by Donavon (Contact, Page)
Date: August 31st, 2006, 4:32

I have the same issue and finally gave up. I think development on ZoomClouds has halted and there is no concern to resolve problems. All e-mails to them have gone unanswered.

~~~

Posted by Torley (Contact, Page)
Date: September 12th, 2006, 23:07

Hiya, I had a similar problem to German--I created a ZoomCloud and it was really easy to and a lot of fun, but then my ZoomCloud stopped updating after awhile. :( I don't know why this is, I wrote numerous emails to support, and haven't heard back.

Since I see recent comments from RBA on this blog, I hope we can learn why this is happening. Is there any news? It'd be super-appreciated because I think ZoomClouds is great... I just want it to work, please! :D

Thankyou.

~~~

Posted by RBA (Contact, Page)
Date: October 1st, 2006, 1:04

Hello,

It is true that we stopped working on Zoomclouds for a while, while we were busy doing other things, however, we've now allocated time and resources to work on Zoomclouds and not only work on this and other issues that have been brought up but also to add some new features some people have been suggesting us.

~~~

Posted by drk (Contact, Page)
Date: October 5th, 2006, 9:43

hey - keep doing what you are doing - I use your facilities a lot for all sorts of things and recommend you to anyone who asks about this type of thing.

I noticed you'd fixed the "can't delete large clouds bug" which I noticed but hadn't got round to reporting - so I feel happier now making larger "one-off" clouds in the happy knowledge I can delete them when I am done with them.

When you are finished catching up let me know - I have a "wish list" for zoomclouds that would make my life easier - I'd love to share it with you.

question: is there any limit to the number of clouds I can have?

~~~

Posted by RBA (Contact, Page)
Date: October 5th, 2006, 9:49

DRK, Yeah we fixed that. About time! :-)

So far I don't think there's a limit in the number of clouds. There probably is but I'm pretty sure it's high enough. If you run into it, let me know.

As for the wishlist, you don't have to wait. We have our own "to do" list, but we can always get suggestions and then prioritize according to what we think is more important - and perhaps some of your ideas are more important than ours :-)

~~~

Posted by Baze (Contact, Page)
Date: November 4th, 2006, 10:43

Can zoomcloud be modified so that it works with Windows-1251 encoding? Both for recognizig tags and the results page.

~~~

Posted by Baze (Contact, Page)
Date: November 5th, 2006, 3:58

Is there possibility to make zoom cloud to read Windows-1251 encoded tags? And also the results page to be with the same encoding.

Back to this post | Home